Monday, December 23, 2013

Photoshop adventures

I took the sketch that I did about ten days ago(http://flutterbliss.wordpress.com/2013/12/14/i-am-having-a-sketchy-friday-the-13th/) and colored it in Photoshop. It wasn't a complete sketch so I had to do quite a bit of coloring and fudging around the corners. Here it is:Image
 I learned a lot from this project. I learned how to make the closest thing to a pencil in Photoshop. And how to add a grainy overlay to add texture so that it doesn't look entirely airbrushed. I got that tip here: http://www.3dm3.com/forum/articles.php?action=viewarticle&artid=101. While the approach was more subtle in the tutorial, I like how it looks like it could have been colored on an art paper that has 'tooth'. I am not sure if my experiment was exactly successful (not crazy about my weird fuzzy border), but I feel like I got some education from it. I have never been a fan of filters in Photoshop for regular digital illustration, but now I may be a convert- At least for making a nice texture on an image. The original sketch can be found here: 

No comments:

Post a Comment