Thursday, December 12, 2013

Dryad painting walkthrough

I took photos of my process. Here is a walkthrough-
Materials used:
Strathmore mixed media paper, pencil,watercolor, colored pencils, acrylic ink(brown), brush tip marker, and a tiny bit of white acrylic.
I started with a basic sketch of the face. I did not add much hair or the branches. I wanted the paint to do the work there.
Image
I then began to add light washes. I believe I used yellow ochre for the hair ans skin, and brown for the branches. I used a wash of rose madder on the nose, cheeks, lips and any parts of the face that would be ‘rosy’. I used a blue wash for the sky and the shadows on the face and neck.
Image
I continued to add color to the hair. I chose a reddish brown. I filled in the iris of the eye. I did not worry about painting around the pupil, since I was going to color it in with a dark color later. I noticed that the brown on the branches was washing away as I painted, (My first time using this paper) so I simply wiped it away with a damp cloth. I used a small brush and some brown ink to define them instead. It worked well. I also used a bigger brush and used the brown ink in the hair. I used colored pencils to add detail and wildness to the hair.
Image
I got out my brush tipped marker and filled in the pupil and lined the top eyelid and added more wild hair and loosely outlined some of the branches. I used the colored pencils to shade the details of the face and neck and added a couple of tattoos. I used pinks and browns. I then used white acrylic to make the shines in the eyes and.a reflection on the bottom lip.
Image
I finished up using more colored pencils just to darken the rosy bits and the shadows. I drew eyelashes to accentuate her eyes
Image
And here is the final product- scanned and available in my Etsy shop.  https://www.etsy.com/shop/FlutterblissArt
Feel free to leave comments or questions for me. :)
Image

No comments:

Post a Comment